By Matthias Gerner
This is often the 1st smooth grammar of Nuosu written in English. Nuosu belongs to a bit identified element of Tibeto-Burman. The 2.5 Million ethnic Nuosu are a part of the Yi nationality and reside in Sichuan (China). This grammar informs Tibeto-Burman linguists, typologists, students of language touch and international beginners of Nuosu.
Read or Download A Grammar of Nuosu PDF
Similar chinese books
China to Chinatown tells the tale of 1 of the main awesome examples of the globalization of meals: the unfold of chinese language recipes, constituents and cooking types to the Western global. starting with the debts of Marco Polo and Franciscan missionaries, J. A. G. Roberts describes how Westerners’ first impressions of chinese language nutrients have been decidedly combined, with many relating to chinese language consuming behavior as repugnant.
Recognized for his paintings in chinese language old phonetics, Edwin Pulleyblank has compiled this lexicon to offer within the results of his researches at the phonology of center chinese language and its evolution to Mandarin. The lexicon enhances Pulleyblank's past e-book, "Middle chinese language" via delivering reconstructed pronunciation for about 8000 chinese language characters at 3 historic phases.
This can be a severe inquiry into the connections among emergent feminist ideologies in China and the construction of 'modern' women's writing from the death of the final imperial dynasty to the founding of the PRC. It accentuates either famous and under-represented literary voices who intervened within the gender debates in their new release in addition to contextualises the thoughts utilized in imagining substitute tales of lady adventure and power.
- Intermediate Cantonese: A Grammar and Workbook (Grammar Workbooks)
- Handbook of Statistical Analyses Using Stata, Fourth Edition (Chinese Edition)
- Sun Tzu's The Art of War: Bilingual Edition Complete Chinese and English Text, Edition: Hardcover with Jacket
- Lenin, Leninism and the Chinese Revolution
Extra resources for A Grammar of Nuosu
Liétard (1909, 1911) published a more detailed grammar on Axi. These were the sole Yi languages described by Western writers until 1990 when the linguist Bradley (1990) wrote a paper on the grammatical tone in Liángshān Nuosu. Björverud published a grammar of Lalo (Dàlĭ 大理) as her Ph. D. dissertation at Lund University in 1998. Fù Màojì’s Descriptive grammar of Lolo represents the sole available Nuosu grammar in English. This work was submitted in August 1950 as doctoral thesis at Cambridge University and reprinted in an issue of Linguistics of the Tibeto-Burman Area in 1997.
14) a. SG Noun (D) Coverb=postposition (H) zha. ’ b. 1 nyip day gat qip. ’ In the same vein, predicates always follow noun phrases which they modify as arguments or as adjuncts. (15) a. ꇐꁈꀉꎓꇬꀮꄑ。 lu po ax rryr male name female name Argument (D) go PAT bu dex. ’ b. see Adjunct (D) ‘You should cut with the knife-edge facing down’ zhe. cut Verb (H) 18 Language background Manner adverbs (D), especially when built on the phrasal suﬃx -mu, occur left to the predicate, the head. (16) a. SG spending strength mu ADVL bot.
Nd [nd/nd] dd [d/d] d [t] t [t] ndi ‘contain’ ndie ‘skillful’ ndat ‘enough’ ddi ‘bad, rotten’ ddie ‘make’ ddat ‘accept’ dduo ‘climb’ ddop ‘word’ dde dde mu ‘often’ ddu ‘home’ ddur ‘exit’ di ‘single, alone’ die ‘layer’ da ‘put’ duo ‘hold in arms’ dop ‘point at’ dep ‘rise up’ dut ‘step on’ dur ‘thousand’ ti ‘mean, signify’ tie ‘nominalizer’ ta ‘earthern jar’ tuo ‘sharp, keen’ to ‘cut swiftly’ te ‘time’ tut ‘family’ tur ‘chop up’ ndo ‘drink’ ndu ‘dig’ ndur ‘shake grain’ The four phonation types are also fully contrastive for the velar point of articulation.